Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's Day Scars

The following is an actual event, the characters' names were left out to protect their privacy:
April Fool's Day, circa 2002. I'm at work. Flower delivery! Oh boy! Could it be!? Flowers from the boyfriend - for no reason? How sweet! Everyone crowds around my desk to admire the gorgeous flowers and tell me how lucky I am to have such a nice surprise! As I'm blushing red in the face and so tickled to get something so fun - I open the note that so gently rested upon the petals of a nearby flower. Hoping to read words of sweet-nothings, only to brighten my day even more! The note read:
Oops! I used a real name. darn it. sorry Jolene. (not really)
Anyway - you could IMAGINE the rage, the embarrassment, the hurt and the overwhelming need to punch someone! I turned and looked for Jolene. I found her sneaking her head around the corner of my cube, red in the face and eyes about to flood over with tears from laughter. She knew! She knew exactly who they came from! I had to surrender the flowers with the greatest hesitancy in trying NOT to throw them to the ground. Yes, I giggled to humor the on-lookers, but deep down, a wound had been created on my heart. There were many apologies from the "sender" and also the REAL recipient. However, to this day, I still remember that Fools Day every year as if it just happened... and the wound reopens.

I've thought over and over again how to seek my revenge and I must say, this year, the "thought" train has stopped. It may not be as "cruel" as the fake flower delivery was, but I've discovered a way to Fool my once predator - he shall now ........become. my. PREY.

2 comments:

angie said...

HAHAHA oh my word, this is hilarious!! i don't remember the story. classic. and what a way for jo to pull some strings to get her very own flowers! so sneaky ...

Kelli said...

that's a good one!