Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tick, Tick, Tick, BLACK TICK!

I couldn't help myself but be reminded of a scenario I went through - a quite TRAUMATIC scenario - last summer. Today, my friend blogged about how last night she was laying comfortably in bed, when she felt something crawling on her butt. She went to scratch it and discovered it was a tick! She immediately jumped out of bed, ran downstairs screaming and made a little bonfire out of it (lit it on fire). Which is EXACTLY how I handle the situation. And also.. this only means that TickFest 2008 has officially begun.
So anyway, as I was saying in the beginning of my blog, this reminded me of a time at her place last summer. Her house is very close to some woods which of course are only the breeding grounds of tick infestation. She had a BBQ. We were all sitting in the garage, when all of a sudden I looked down and being one of the most observant people I know, noticed a LOT of little black bodies moving across the ground. TICKS! THEY WERE ALL TICKS! I kid you not, I thought I was on the scene of the sequel to Arachnophobia, called Tickophobia! I screamed, got up from my seat and immediately found a lighter. So while everyone's laughing at my hysterics, I walked around hunched over and burned the little suckers! And then, I got this overwhelming sense of panic and thought - if they were all by my feet, there might be one ON ME! So I immediately rushed inside, into the bathroom. (keep in mind, many were laughing at me) and I took off my pants and inspected every angle.. and WHADAYA KNOW!!!!!!!! There was a little Tick on the thigh of my inner PANT LEG!!!!!!!!!!

I f-r-e-a-k-e-d!

Got it off, and put my pants back on and walked out yelling, "See!!! I'm NOT CRAZY! THERE WAS ONE!" At which time I also had a little bonfire of my own with Mr. Tick. So after reading my friend's story, I'm only reminded that the stupid things exist and now I'm ALL ITCHY!

7 comments:

Jolene said...

so... what is it about ticks that freaks people out? have i been around them too long that i just find them annoying?

Kelli said...

LMAO!! I remember that day well! HA! ICK!! I'm still all creepy crawly!

SteelerWife said...

They're disgusting and gross and I never ever ever will LIKE THEM OR IGNORE THEM! Spiders I can handle. Ticks - NEVER!

Anonymous said...

Um...could it be that they burrow themselves into your skin and gorge themselves on your blood until they are too fat to keep sucking and then fall on the floor like a big blood balloon with wiggly legs?! Well, at least that is what happens when they latch onto my dogs, and quite honestly that is enough to make me queasy. And now I am feeling itchy too! LOL!

angie said...

jolene, i feel the exact same way! i totally don't get it. they don't move fast enough to scare me. and apparently blood-sucking tendancies just don't gross me out. not sure if that's bad or not.
however, lyss, that is a pretty amazing story.

Unknown said...

The Tick was a great cartoon! Ah yes, the days of being a kid....what were we talking about again?

Jolene said...

You skipped a day. Need me to blog for you? ;)