Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dealerships should be called Scamerships

As a follow up to my blog yesterday...
It's been a few years since I've had to deal with problematic cars but recently I was reminded of how much the 'car repair' business is a SCAM (depending on the people however and PARTICULARLY AT DEALERSHIPS).
Now before I go on, know that I vowed a few years back to never go to a dealership for repairs because my last experience was humiliating and quite possibly the only time I've wanted to punch someone in the nasal septum. I was 1000 miles over my oil change and the guy actually KINDLY yelled at me for waiting and was sure to reiterate the importance of an oil change and how it'll ruin my car if I don't keep up with it. Keep in mind there were PEOPLE standing behind me too, HEARING THIS! I was mortified and never returned.
Also ..... please keep in mind my perfected trait of being a Procrastinator.
There was a recall on my car that came out in Dec. that I never fixed, about a 'faulty' computer and how the engine can suddenly stop. It won't happen to me right? well, not so much.
My car starting acting up on Sunday, suddenly jolting as if a 'ghost' were stepping on my brake and then go back to the set speed of the cruise control. NOT COOL. So immediately a red flag flew up and hit me in the face saying - I BET THIS IS THAT RECALL YOU IGNORED!
So I called the Dealership yesterday to tell them my Check Engine light was on but also that I still needed to fix a recall -believing the two could be related. They wanted $120 to run the diagnostic because of the Check Engine light. THEN fix the recall. Being that I'm female, I'm sure this helped him come up with the BS reasoning he had for this. But after discussing this with the ever-so-smart hubby, he suggested I take Gwendolyn (that's my car - well - for blogging purposes) to Car-X. He had his car "diagnosed" there for free. So I zoomed up there (after having a hard time getting my car to START!) and they checked it for free. Found out that there was an issue with the crankshaft. The Googler that I am, I found out that the recall on the computer of my car is EXACTLY involving the crankshaft, causing the engine to stall but mostly can affect starting. (ah ha! the answer is revealed!) So we called Car-X this morning to let them know this was a recall and we'll be in to get the car. I then called the Dealer today and explained that I called yesterday for an appt, but couldn't make it due to their obsessive compulsion of ripping people off (well - I didn't say ALL THAT) and that I'd be bringing my car in today instead for the recall fix.
I have to admit, I have this over-whelming excitement for the moment that the guy at the dealership references my previous call and continues to quote me for the diagnostic.
At which time I'LL SAY:
"Actually, my light isn't on anymore. I was able to get the diagnostic for free and found out it was the exact recall I'm here for today." Then say...
(as Ben Stiller would do in Meet the Parents, with flailing karate chop arms)....
"CAN YOU HANDLE THAT!"

2 comments:

Jolene said...

nice work/sleuthing/shopping around!

and so glad that it's just related to the recall and not an entirely separate (worse) problem!

Kelli said...

good ending! HA!