Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Decluttering

Recently, my bestest pal Bean, recommended a site to me:
Don't be frightened by the little heavy-set fly in the corner of the screen.
It's actually a GREAT site and I'm now using it as my tool to help get my house AND LIFE in order and getting rid of, what she calls, CHAOS:
Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome
Pretty creative huh?
One of the emails I received from her was about decluttering. Just spend 15 minutes decluttering an area in your house each day. Her 'tasks/suggestions' don't have to be finished all in one swipe. After all, your house (and life) didn't get so cluttered in one week right? RIGHT.
So I did some decluttering last night. I had really no intention to go as far as I did but it was actually fun finding all the treasures/junk I've shoved into little areas of my house. The areas where you constantly stack stuff or pile stuff up because you'll "get to it later" - yeah - those areas - they're called "hot spots." I have A LOT of them!
So I decided to tackle one. Which was one of the cubby holes in our dresser.
I found everything from buttons, to body sprays, to pictures from high school, to old jewelry that I totally forgot I owned and then I actually found some TAPES.
(For those reading this that are a tad younger -crystal, hee hee! - tapes were the coolest thing before CD's . So don't laugh) Just kidding - you can laugh. I AM! LOL!
This cubby was stacked to the point of when you threw something in it, you opened and shut the door as FAST as you could, to avoid spillage.
But now... holy cow. I cannot BELIEVE how clean it is and there's only a few things in there! Which made me sit and think, 'what in the world was in there before that made it so BAD!?' Because really, I didn't even think I took that much out!
But oh yes. I did.
I also took the liberty to clean off the top of the dresser and took decor off the walls of our room that just wasn't "flowing" with the overall scheme And I now have a ginormous bin of stuff to donate.
It feels good.
And like the relaxing weekend, I HIGHLY recommend doing this decluttering!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Don't worry...I know what TAPES are! I actually got a tape player for my birthday one year when I was like 10 years old! I'm pretty sure my first tape was of Janet Jackson.

Kelli said...

well...I know what you can do will all the clutter you want to donate. Save it for our garage sale that will benefit the 3-Day walk. I'll start collecting stuff in mid-March so you won't have to hand on to it too much longer. :)