Thursday, March 26, 2009

If it's not my nose, it's my forehead

With all this dry weather, I don't know about you, but my nose tends to bleed a lot because of it.
The other morning it decided to bleed the second I got out of bed - nice.
Yesterday I was standing and talking to my pal Jude here at work, and all of a sudden - a nosebleed. And it wasn't just a little one - my goodness it was bad! So strange!
Eventually stopped.
So I was happy that for the rest of the day yesterday, it seemed to have gone away.
But ....... then I guess it decided to come out somewhere else instead.
My forehead.
I have little blood vessels that are really close to the surface of my skin. I happen to have one that's right between my eyes (quit laughing).
I haven't really paid much attention to it because after all - it's a blood vessel. I can't really do anything about it.
So I'm washing my face last night - using my Apricot Scrub. (because I'm out of my other stuff)
And I go to dry my face and I look in the mirror and there's blood dripping down my nose!
WHAT THE HECK!?
I suddenly realized that I bet one of the little scrubby grainy things from the facewash, broke open my skin just enough to open it!
So I sat there, holding kleenex to it. Checked it every now and then and it would NOT STOP!
Told Jeff that I'd like to call someone or at least look online. I mean geeze - it's a blood vessel! How the heck do you get one of these guys to stop!? I applied pressure and continued to hold my kleenex...while laughing at myself (the hubby was joining in), at just the thought that really? What ELSE is going to bleed!? And what are the stinkin' ODDS that this HAPPENS!?
We read on the net "apply pressure to the area for 15 minutes. Check. If still bleeding, apply pressure for another 15 minutes. If still bleeding, continue to apply pressure and call a doctor."
So two sessions of 15-minutes later - I had the hubby calling the doctor. It just wouldn't stop bleeding!
Doctor said to sit up and sort of recline in bed. Keep applying pressure and use ice if I needed to.
So that's what we did.
IT FINALLY STOPPED after about 10 minutes.
Oh my gosh people - have you ever held something WITH PRESSURE, between your eyes for 40 minutes?
I DON'T RECOMMEND IT!
It's another version of Chinese water torture!
So... now the observation game begins.
Doc said if it starts up again, for whatever reason, I need to be seen. Probably to have it cauterized I'm guessing. Which oddly enough, I've always WANTED it to be cauterized because I always thought the placement of this thing was absurd.
Right between the eyes? Really?
Come'on!!!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez, what a night!

Kelli said...

THAT'S CRAZY!!!!

Stop washing ur face so vigirously!!! HA!

"Alyssa Marie...beloved wife and friend...bled to death by way of Apricot Scrub"....not something I want to have to see! HA!

BTW..you're a clable. (that's my verification word) - ur a harry potter.

Anonymous said...

2 words...
ONLY YOU!

Jolene said...

you should have left that gum there... this never would have happened then.

SteelerWife said...

perhaps bean! Maybe you should have spit that gum a little harder so it never came off. Wait - I wonder if your gum STARTED the whole "vein close to the surface" thing! Cuz it's fairly new - like 5 years new. I BET IT WAS YOU! YOU DID THIS TO ME! The trauma was just too much!