Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Me again...

I wanted to share my frustration because I love all of you and we're a team right? So if I'm suffering, you'll suffer with me... it's the code. Look it up.
Anyway, today's topic involves completely boring, mindless, sleep-promoting tasks at work.
The particular task I have in mind, is one where I have to go through a program that collects every stinkin' word in the English language from our reports, and puts them in a 'database.' Then I have to go THROUGH this database and determine if the word is worth adding to our "dictionary" so when the computer 'hears' it, it'll recognize it and not flag it again as an "unknown" word.
(I like to use quotes a lot) (And yes, computers are practically human now)
*
And I was given this HORRID task about oh...... maybe 2 years ago? And honestly.. I barely open the dang program. Want to experience this with me? Here's how you can:
Find the nearest dictionary.
Open it.
Start with the beginning of the A's.
Read every word and for every word you may not know, pretend those are spelled incorrectly and mentally put them in another 'category' of ones you need to investigate to find the correct spelling.
Keep in mind that when you're done with the A's, go back through and pretend they're all in caps now.
Do this above process over again. You'll do this for each letter.
And while you're doing this, time yourself until the first moment you start closing your eyes and falling asleep. (I bet it's within 20 seconds.)
Just guessing...
*
Now fight that urge repeatedly as you continue to go through the entire dictionary.
Repeat this daily.
And know you're expected to do this...
E..V..E..R..Y D..A..Y
*
I'll be at the bar across the street. I'll save you a seat.

4 comments:

Jolene said...

i was soooooo glad when they made that a site responsibility. it IS painful.
however - maybe if you wouldn't put it off so long, it wouldn't be so ugly. perhaps do a 5 minute CC rescue each morning ;)

it won't fix the problem but it might make it a smidge more palatable.

angie said...

oh good lord. thank you for helping me appreciate my job today. :( i'm sorry, friend. that sounds PAINFUL.

Crystal said...

Geez, I'm already falling asleep just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Oh...My...Gosh!