Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm a picker...

Wouldn't you like to be a picker too?
*
This was the quote that was continually said yesterday as I helped pick wine grapes at a vineyard just north of our house. It was a great time and awesome experience! I mean, who can say they picked grapes at a vineyard - especially when they live in MN??
It belongs to my sister-in-law's BF.
I was all ready with my camera to take some fun pics BUT of course, in the hustle of leaving the house, I left my camera bag on the floor. Nice.
Anyway, my sister-in-law asked me to help pick and I thought, oh heck why not!
I get there thinking I'm going to pick these purple grapes one by one - wow - this is going to be a while (especially after looking at the buckets we were filling!) But much to my surprise - - - you cut them off the vine in clumps. I started laughing to myself and immediately thought, ok, here's me, picking the grapes one by one off the clump and wondering why everyone is so much faster. HA!
When I found a good clump, I couldn't help but think of the wallpaper that's a border in my step-brother's house (previously decorated by my stepmom). I mean, I've never actually seen a clump of grapes besides in drawings and artwork and wallpaper! ha!
And oh man were they yummy! You had to spit out the little seeds but still - they were scrumptious! Tried some white grapes too. Mr. BF stated he was actually going to let them freeze and pick them in November to make an ice wine. How interesting! I couldn't BELIEVE how many different wine grapes there were! It's insane! And listening to him name off the different types, just floored me. But what floored me the most was listening to his daughter name them off! I could barely repeat some of them! (she's maybe 9 yrs old?)
At any rate, it was fun. And the drive out there was gorgeous and seeing a vineyard in person was very calming.
I highly recommend visiting one and if some time you'd like to help pick grapes with me, let me know and I'll figure out the next "harvesting" date!
OH and the best part - my 'payment' was 2 bottles of home-made wine by Mr. Boyfriend! A Sweet White and a Rose wine. I can't WAIT to try them!

2 comments:

angie said...

okay, i've only read the first two sentences and i'm already commenting because WHICH VINEYARD is that??? so cool you got to help out! i'm jealous. and also craving a glass of wine. mmmm.

Crystal said...

grapes are way better than scabs or boogers!