I just got to thinkin' early this morning as the storms went through - how much I really like them.
I can remember 3 distinct moments of how my love for storms really came through.
#1: Back when boomboxes were THEE thing to have (I had a pink one), I would hold up my boombox to the window and I would hold up my boombox to the window to try to record the storm on tape. (yes. A tape. For those that don't know what a tape is...you missed out). I wanted SO BADLY to have a stormy weather tape I could play at night to fall asleep too.
#2: Up at my grandma's cabin, she would always play what us grandkids called "the stormy record." (and if you don't know what a record is.. again, you missed out) But she would play it and throughout the whole thing was a storm in the background. Us grandkids would sit on the floor and just stare up at the record player and listen to it. Click here to hear samples of my childhood. LOL! The sample tracks don't sound as good as the record though. (of course) But there's the track, Local Freight, where this creepy train would sound. It'd start really faint with the blow-horn and then the storm in the background and then you could hear the train getting closer and closer - all the while this terrible storm is going on. MAN we all loved that record!!!!!!!! Listen to the sample for the train one. And Fire Island was a favorite too!
#3: When I was about 12 or 13, my best friend and I got up in the middle of the night while it was storming, made some sandwiches and put the kitchen chairs near the windows of the deck and sat up for a couple hours watching the storm. The bolts of lightening were amazing! I'll never forget it. Or the sandwich. They were good. LOL!
*
And now for the rest of the day, I'll have the One Stormy Night's music in my head.
I wanna go back to being a kid!!!!!!!!!! wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RSS Feed (xml)
3 comments:
I did enjoy the stormy sounds outside my bedroom window this morning. Made it hard to get out of bed.
i <3 stormy mornings too. it just sets the mood for a tranquil (ironically) kind of day.
but now i'm ready to play - bring on the sunshine!
thanks for reminding me of how awesome thunderstorms really are. i love these memories of yours!
Post a Comment