Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Teamwork at it's finest!

Jeff does all the grocery shopping and I'm in charge of making the list.
I got creative recently and started putting 'categories' on the list as to what type of food it was and tried to put the list in the order that he walks through the store (so he wouldn't have to back track to get anything).
So I have VEGGIES/FRUIT as a title and then CONDIMENTS, then MEAT, then DAIRY and so on. Each in all capital letters and underlined.
Last Friday, he went grocery shopping with my list.
On the list I had removed the need for bread from the last time I requested it. (I had buns or something under the 'category')
Well there was still BREAD on the list - as a 'category' title.
I looked in the cupboard last night and I see 2 loaves of bread.
Me: Hun... why did you buy more bread?
Jeff: Cuz it was on the list ? (like duh - you had it on there!)
Me: No I didn't.
Jeff: Yes you did. At the bottom it said 'bread'
Me: (silence) Oh! Well that was a CATEGORY!
(I could barely hold back from laughing that I had JUST said that)
Jeff: Well how was I suppose to know it was (motioning quotes) "a category!?' I just thought you had big plans for eating bread!
*
Talk about your all time backfire.
We now have 2 full loaves of bread.
For the next week, it's french toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and grilled cheese for dinner.

3 comments:

Jolene said...

You could also make stuffing, bread pudding, or... um... I'm sure there are others too. Angie and I were just talking yesterday about how she freezes bread so that it doesn't go bad before she can use it. (This is never a problem for us.) Maybe that would work for you, too!

For what it's worth, I bet Jeff loved the categories. He could probably go through the list a whole lot faster than a mumbojumbo list like I give J :)

NASHVILLE HIP CHICK said...

Well, maybe the Lord has big plans to make you both fishers of men...

On another note, I was watching the Nate Berkus show the other day and they had this woman on there who is a coupon-fanatic. She created a 3-ring binder with clear sleeves inside for her coupons. She had them organized like you in the order of the aisles at the grocery story so she could flip through the binder as she walked through the store.

Kelli said...

try this:

Produce
Meat
Deli
Bakery
Pantry (all dry goods)
Baby
Cats
Other

I'm surprised he didn't come home with ketchup and mayo (condiments) ha ha ha!!!

I've been doing the catagorized list for a few months and it works great, however, if it doesn't make it on the list, it don't get in the cart! Sucks when you get home and realize you're out of salt. LOL!

(i have posted on a few blogs today and my verification words get weirder and weirder...BEWABERS"