She would take me here and sometimes she'd skate with me and sometimes she'd just sit up in the stands while watching me buzz around with all the other people on the ice. I remember SPECIFICALLY, looking up at her after attempting one of my spins because I wanted to see her reaction (perhaps because I didn't fall). And I just remember her sitting up there smiling and waving... just all by herself.... There may have been other people around but really, I don't remember seeing anyone else. Just her. And I think about this moment from time to time and I realize over and over again, how much she loved me and she'd do anything for me to make me happy. I didn't understand or SEE it then, but looking at it now, she was alone (significant other wise) and taking care of my brother and I. Not that dad wasn't in the picture because he ALWAYS was, but to know that my mom worked her butt OFF to take care of us and she even still had the time to take me out skating. (gosh - now I'm really crying!) It just hits me extra hard these days to know what she must have went through day-to-day, working a day shift and a night shift, trying to stay strong, all along never setting aside that love.
Mom's are the best and I think we should all think about this all year round and know that we have a special day set aside to put "extra icing on the cake" to tell mom how special she is.
Which leads me to explain my title of the blog - wondering what to do for mom. What to get? This morning I heard an advertisement from Osterman Jewelers. They were pushing to have people buying mom a ROLEX. Yup, a ROLEX. "Make this mother's day memorable." Well of course! Why didn't I think of getting her a ROLEX! Silly me! I'm so worried about gas and buying postage - that heck, I COMPLETELY forgot my option of buying a ROLEX.
And to think that all these past years I thought I was doing a good job and making the day "memorable." Thanks for telling me I've failed Osterman.
RSS Feed (xml)
7 comments:
lyss, i think the best gift you could give your mom is to print this story out for her. :) it's so touching and full of love!
p.s. the rolex would be a close second, though.
**hugs** to Dianne! What an awesome memory to treasure :) Does she read your blog? I say forget Rolex and it's time for a sentimental figure-skating shadow box :)
I actually brought the paper home after I wrote it and read it to her. I think we were both crying :) maybe it's time to relive it though - it's been years! And yes, she does check my blog from time to time when she's at home :) Thanks for the ideas gals!!!
What?! You're not getting her a Rolex? I'm getting my mom one!
Nicely said hun! Your Mom is a wonderful person, and I am very lucky to have her as my Mom too!
I am going to get her that Rolex, ok maybe a Rolox from a guy in a trenchcoat :P
You always were a one-upper Jack. LMBO!
oooh i LOVE jo's idea. you could definitely make something incredible from this memory.
Post a Comment