Friday, August 1, 2008

Titanic 2008

This past weekend, we were out on lake minnetonka with some friends of the hubby's, that were in town from Colorado. We were headed to Big Island.
For those of you that haven't heard of Big Island, just picture Cancun, Mexico during spring break... times about 10! It's where all these boats tie up one right after another and create this "alley" between them, so the butts of the boats are facing each other. I couldn't believe all the partying going on, all the beer, liquor, beer bongs, stereo systems and folks - even a DJ Sound System was on one of these boats! It was MASS HYSTERIA! (that was for you hun).
And we're back...
Ok, so now that you know that part (which really has nothing to do with my story), I'll continue..So we were heading over to this Big Island (oh look- it does! LOL!) and in order to get there, we had to pass through some channels. Oh, and we're on a pontoon, with about 8 adults and 2 coolers. As we're just about ready to go through the opening, the waves were all of a sudden GINORMOUS! I mean like 3 foot waves (which is pretty big when you're in a pontoon with how flat and low to the water the front is!) And we hit this one wave JUST RIGHT that it billowed over the front of the boat, splashed everyone sitting in front, and the pontoon started to go down! I was SO freaked!!! I immediately started to plan my escape route, "which side should I jump over? where's my purse? oh crap, it's up front? where are the life jackets? Can anyone see us?" all this was going through my head. I'd say the front end of the pontoon was submerged for about 30 seconds and NOT letting up
... UNTIL..... the quick actions of our driver kicked in! He immediately threw the boat in reverse and the front end S L O W L Y started to pull out of the water. In the meantime, stuff from the boat is floating into the water. And of course, I had my COACH PURSE up front. UGH! But someone grabbed it for me and it was saved! Though FILLED with water! Tipped it over, drained it. Everything was soaked, ripped, dissolved (my m&ms!) which made for a nice mess, and my cell phone. ALL COMPLETELY BATHED! So anyway, we ended up straightening ourselves out (while being asked by the Tow Officer if we were ok - good thing they were nearby!) and with about 3 inches of water on the floor, we all started sifting through our things and tried to salvage what we could from our bags and purses. Couple t-shirts were lost but that was about it. Someone had their camera (big fancy one) fall into the water on the floor too - Hope it was able to dry out! I felt so bad! Yet secretly applauded myself for NOT bringing mine!
So... that FOLKS was my adventure for the weekend. Oh and spending time in "the alley" of Big Island was fun too and I got great sun! (minus the awful burn!), however it definitely confirmed my old age.
Still a great experience!
And out of the whole deal - I GOT A NEW PHONE! She's a beautiful iced-blue color and I shall call her Mildred.
-
(Keep in mind, my old phone STILL worked after taking a swim! I couldn't believe it! I was sure to tell the Verizon rep how sturdy it was. Unfortunately, he told me my new phone PROBABLY wouldn't be as great of a swimmer.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, one question for you...why the hell did you even bring your purse on a boat?! I thought people in MN were experienced boaters. Well, I'm happy to say then that me, a Kansan, does know to leave all items that I don't wanna get wet/ruined at home! LOL!

Unknown said...

Jack, are even any lakes in Kansas. I thought it was one big corn field ..LOL!

Thanks for refreshing my memory hunny, I really don't remember much of the day...it must have been from too much sun :)

Anonymous said...

I LIVE IN THE CITY GOSH DARNIT! You guys have more "country" b.s. up there than we do! LOL!

Jolene said...

agreed - i've never even considered bringing my purse on a boat - or if i do, it gets tucked somewhere waterproof (bring an empty floatable cooler for storage next time). glad that it was a lesson that could be learned without too much trauma and damage.

p.s. where's the pic you promised me yesterday?