Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sap Ahead

The other week, I took half a day because I wasn't feeling well and decided once I was in the car, that I was going to "reward" myself with some McDonalds. When has McDonalds EVER been considered a reward you ask? Especially when applying to a sick stomach? Good Question. My answer is this: In college, when I would visit my friends in Duluth, often times McDonalds was the place to be to cure the hangover the morning after a bash. Grease is magical sometimes and of course, like all magic, should be used in moderation.
Moving on...
So I stop at McDonalds with intentions on getting a Big Mac. My favorite. But then realize, I don't really need that. Instead, I'll get a large fry and a small chocolate shake. (I dip my fries in my shake - anyone else do this? I HIGHLY recommend it!)
And as I was standing there waiting for my order, I was looking around at all the other people in line and I noticed two people in particular and my heart melted.
Here was an old man ('grandpa') holding the tiny hand of his granddaughter who couldn't have been older than 5, and she anxiously awaited her Happy Meal! Her grandpa had the most gentle look to his face and you could tell how happy he felt to be able to take his granddaughter to the best place on earth (pertaining to children of course). It was validation to me that these special trips to McDonalds DO still occur with grandchildren and their grandparents.
It was probably the most precious site I've seen in a while because it reminded me of those times I'd get to go to McDonalds with my grandma and/or grandpa. I wished for those simpler times again and was almost heartbroken to know those times are gone, and some day my mom or stepmom or dad will be doing the same for my kids and will be just as precious.
I'll always be able to picture 'grandpa and this little girl,' waiting in line for the most awesomest lunch ever.
I should've taken a picture and framed it, to lock in the purity of the moment.
-
and then I would have followed this blog with my story of
"why I was arrested."

3 comments:

angie said...

awww this is adorable. but the ending of your post really made me laugh. hehe :) thanks for the sweet visual!

Anonymous said...

If you think about how unhealthy McD's really is... you definitely do have to think..."How come we still think of Mc D's as a special treat?" Probably because it is so darn good despite how bad it is for us.

Btw... I miss old people. There aren't too many in LA and I miss smiling at how cute they are. The last time I was in MN and I saw my first cotton top granny... I had a smile from ear to ear. They are so cute!

SteelerWife said...

LOL! "Cotton Top" - Love it Mols! Thanks for Stoppin' By!!!!