Monday, December 15, 2008

Objects in Mirror are WAY closer than they appear!

This past Friday evening, I was at the bank. A bank that has a very cramped, small parking lot and it's VERY VERY BUSY all the time. (I'm backing myself up here.... )
As I got back in my car, I debated on pulling forward, versus going backward, since no one was parked in front of me. Yet for some ODD reason, I ignored my urge to go forward and decided to just back up like "normal." I looked, didn't see anyone and proceeded to back out of my spot - when CRACK! Well whadyaknow......... I HIT SOMEONE!
I sat and thought - what in the world! I DIDN'T EVEN SEE THIS GUY! I immediately got out of the car and apologized! He was a younger guy, with three of his buddies in the car. Needless to say, he didn't act like a "buddy" by any means. I don't know if it's just ME and I tend to be a little happier or if people are just scrooges these days but this guys attitude was just poor. It's a car!
We exchanged information as he constantly gasped and shook his head -'cuz you know - I
T-R-I-E-D to hit him. It's my Friday goal - damage someone's property.
yup.
Anyway - after we had our information exchanged (and I looked at my car - couple scuff marks and maybe a bigger scratch and then his little honda had a pretty good dent in the door but then again, I was backing up. Can't get much speed doin' that) - anyway - exchanged our info and again, I apologized for not looking well enough and how I didn't even see him - and apologized. And apologized. (I thought maybe ONE of the times, he'd say, "it's okay.") I wasn't so lucky.
Instead, he just walked back around his car, shaking his head and didn't say a word.
I got back in my car and tried to call my insurance guy ASAP to see if I could catch him before he left his office. No such luck and if you know me, and I know someone's upset because of something I did -- -I want to fix it IMMEDIATELY! Especially in this situation. So I was so IRKED the rest of the night at the fact that I couldn't have it resolved that instant.
So instead, I prayed for the guy I hit - that he was forgiving and understood that it was an accident, I didn't mean it, and I'm a good person, I'm not going to try to rip him off with anything. And I prayed for myself in that I wouldn't dwell on what I can't fix at that moment. Let me think about it when it's time -
So all weekend I was pretty good - didn't worry at all. Amazing how that works :)
At times, I even forgot it happened.
But today, I was reminded as I took the call from my insurance company.
ugh
Merry Christmas..... er something....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I locked my keys in my car the other weekend...and the spare was in my purse, in my car! Don't ask! So I had to spend money on a locksmith so I told my dad I spent his xmas gift money on it and so he doesn't get a gift. LOL! J/K, I'm not that mean.
That guy sounds like a you know what! And there's a reason they are called ACCIDENTS. Just like you said, it's not like you tried to hit him. People suck, nuf said.

Crystal said...

Sorry to hear about your accident. :( I understand how it can be hard to let it go. After my last accidents (yes, plural- 2 in 2 weeks!) I kept having to tell myself it could have been SO much worse. No one was hurt and that is what matters.

Jolene said...

sorry lyss :( really, really sorry. but thanks for making me want to go wash my windows a little better the next time i'm out and about. sounds like it's a good idea to be able to see...