Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Love Old People

"Senior Citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose." - Dumb and Dumber
*
I had to start out this post with that quote because it's AWESOME! LOL!
But I REALLY do love old people. I always have.
There are a lot of old people at my gym because it's more of a 'rehab' facility I think - well - being attached to the hospital and all.
I'm always sure to smile and say hello to the old folk. Just because they made it to the gym and they're making that decision to stay healthy!
And well, then there's this one guy. Still don't know his name, but we've said hi and he always waves.... Well, he's known to hand out candy to people at the gym. Yes. You read me right.
So I'm on the elliptical and he says, "hello new friend! Want some candy?" Now how could I NOT TAKE ONE?
He handed me a mini Butterfinger. I just smiled and said, "SURE! why not. I haven't had THIS KIND yet today!"
He had a good little chuckle, patted me on the back and then moved on.
*
I just smile knowing I can make the other folk at the gym smile too. I think about where their spouse might be or if they're even alive. Do they live alone? Is this their only outlet? You never know.
So I make the most of it.
*
Moral: Respect your elder and always SMILE!
You never know - - they may bring you treats one day! LOL!

1 comment:

angie said...

with a moral like that, how can i not abide?
p.s. what an adorable story.