Thursday, December 24, 2009

I am my mother

Today was the most convinced I've been in realizing... I'm just like my mom.
And why today? Because snow does not hold me back. My mom has NEVER (that I can recall) canceled any sort of trip because of snow. She would barrel through 5 blizzards and not even blink an eye. I remember when I was younger, she drove this GINORMOUS boat of a car - I wanna say the nickname was Bessy? I don't know, but I just remember it being a big long car. The one where you sat in the back seat that was like a bench and could roll around freely because you were lucky if it had seatbelts or if you could find the seatbelt because it had buried itself in the 8 foot bench of a back. (cuz you know now, most backseats are separated and you can pull the backs down separately. Not this big hoss. HA!)
But I remember driving to either Kansas or Grand Forks during a blizzard. My mom was DETERMINED to get to our destination. Nothing was stopping her. She packed up the car and off we went. And this trip is the most memorable to me because I will never forget what happened. Nothing bad. Just..... kinda scary!
Mom was taking a cloverleaf to get down to the freeway and we started to slide about midway down the turn and we went over the edge, down into the 'ditch' part, sideways, almost hitting the sign that warns the other traffic that more traffic is entering, (how Freudian) and after sliding around and hearing mom perhaps say a few swear words in panic, we slid right onto the freeway, in the right direction and just continued on. It was like nothing had happened! LOL! I can still vividly see the picture I saw of the white out conditions and us sliding down to the freeway and just watching the metal sign as we barely missed hitting it.
*
This morning I realized I'm like my mother in this way. People last night at stores laughed when I told them I was going to work today and they'd say, "You aren't goin' anywhere." In my mind I was saying, "watch me." Yes, it's bad. I'm not saying the driving is nice this morning, but it's going to take a lot for me to stay put. And I still plan on driving to our destinations tomorrow. There will be more snow I'm sure, but..... it will take a MIRACLE to stop me!
*
I'M FEARLESS!
Thanks mom!

3 comments:

Jack said...

We're supposed to get snow today and tomorrow. It's raining now and its supposed to change over this evening. Hopefully Olivia will have a white first xmas. They are few and far b/t here in KS!

Unknown said...

That is funny! We had the big station wagon, and our family was pretty determined to get to Holiday Events too. We got to sit in the back seat which faced traffic behind us. Quite a treat. I would probably get motion sickness from it now LOL!

Jolene said...

love this post. it reminds me of how nuts you are! ;)