Monday, February 8, 2010

A "Little" Defeat

This past weekend we finally had Christmas with my dad and stepmom's. Yes. Believe it. February 6th was the FIRST day all of us kids could get together and celebrate the holidays. One of the gifts my niece received was the game of Monopoly, but not just ANY ol' Monopoly - it was The Littlest Pet Shop's Monopoly.
She asked me to play with her.
Quickly the fears of my childhood came rushing back as I recalled the many memories of my brother and I playing when I was about 12. I always lost. Always. It would get to the point where I'd have no money but I would try and try to regain it by trying to Pass Go as much as I could to collect my $200. Trying to be extra nice to his sister, my brother let me continue to play and just kept a 'record' of all the money I owed him so when I got it, I could pay him. We'd play for about 2-3 hours. I would NEVER come out of my debt and ultimately, he'd win. Which led to my 'dislike' of the game for all these years.
Little did I know, my 8-year-old niece would approach me with the haunting question: "Wanna play Monopoly?"
But.. I played. Figured it could be fun - who knows.
And it was!
We were both laughing all the time and I would get so mad because whenever I'd get a "treat" or a "toy" card (much like the Chance cards), I'd have to PAY money, whereas when she'd get one, she'd RECEIVE money. (I swear it was rigged.)
She was buying properties left and right and here was me, trying to be all conservative and save my money so I could buy the 'big' properties that were closer to "Go."
In the end.. my niece had bought all the properties except for the 7 I owned. And on 3 of her sets of properties, she had Pet Carriers (which are known as 'houses' in the real game.)
She WHOOPED my butt!
I had $309 in the end and she had like $1500! PLUS all the properties.
*
Moral of the Story: If you were terrible at Monopoly then...you may be just as terrible now.
LOL!

3 comments:

Jolene said...

lol! it was soooooo nice of you to let your niece win.
yes. you did LET her win, right? i don't know why you left that part out ;)

Alyssa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
angie said...

i'm so with you on this. it's a tad embarassing when you don't even have to "let yourself" lose to the little ones, isn't it?