Friday, July 30, 2010

Because it's in my head...

About 3 weeks ago or so, a group of us went out to celebrate my friend Katy's birthday.
We ended up at a little Legion bar in the middle of Bethel, to sing karaoke.
Katy's usually the karaoke singer so it was a perfect spot for her to break out the vocals and shock the crowd (of 15 people).
She then got the idea of hey! lets play karaoke roulette!
eh?
So the 'object' is that each one of us gets a slip with someone's name on it and then we have to pick a song for that person to sing. And of course, not sharing who you got or what song you picked.
There were 4 of us girls so we went to work finding songs for each other.
(You can imagine my level of freaking out at this point.)
After Katy and April had sang their songs, Kelli and I determined we had picked songs for each other and Kelli got this look on her face of fear.
Which in turn, made MY face turn into fear.
She was wondering if the songs we were to be picking, were songs that we knew that person would KNOW how to sing, or if we were to completely embarrass them by picking a song they had NEVER sang. I told her I played the 'nice' card and picked a song I knew she had sang before and knew the lyrics well. She then busted out laughing and apologized.
Then asked, "Well, you know The Carpenters right?"
I knew I was doomed.
Yes, I knew them but I can't sit here and name a song!
Before I knew it, it was my turn....
With the look of "I'm sorry" on Kelli's face, I waddled up to the mic with a look of "what have I gotten myself into"
And then the song that I'd be singing appeared on the monitor.
"Close to You" by the Carpenters.
So..... yeah.
I made the best of it and put some REAL feeling in the song! Adding my own lyrics from time to time about how depressing the song was and that everyone should grab a pillow because the songs before mine, were pretty upbeat. And then I walk up with this sap song.
I made it through though! Thanks to a lady who was sitting up front near me and knew all the lyrics and melodies. So I would just look at her from time to time to help cue me for the next line. Gotta love the locals.
I have to say though - singing that song and being completely sober doing so, was a little more relaxing then any other time I've gotten up to sing with that stuff called "liquid courage."
*
And for some reason, this morning, this song has been in my head.
And now it shall be in yours.

6 comments:

Jack said...

I honestly don't even know that song! I may have heard it b/4 but not a huge fan of the Carpenters. LOL! That probably would've happened to me too, I play the nice card and then someone reems me with a weirdo song. Ha!

SteelerWife said...

I bet you know it. "Why do birds, suddenly appear. Every time. You are near. Just like me, they long to be, close to you..." HA! ring a bell?

Molly said...

Great song! haha! I would have paid to see this!

Molly said...

AHhhhhhh!!!! Finally, my comments are showing up on your blog!!!! Yippy! Now I am going to go back to your other page and comment there as well :)

Kelli said...

I will never play that game again! HA! HA! You did great tho! :)

Jolene said...

LOL! paybacks are a bugger - but it sounds like you'll need to think of a whole new "game" to get her back with :)