A while back, my friend Bean posted a blog about an overly old food item that she found in her cupboards, then challenged her readers on what was the oldest thing we've ever found in our pantries.
Last night, I was SO EXCITED to make a box of macaroni and cheese. I had just poured the noodles into the boiling water and thought....'I better check the date on this.'
"Best if used by Nov. 2007"
Um..... I don't think so.
Took the noodles off the burner and let the pan cool so I could dump them out. I was devastated. I was looking forward to a delicious cheesy dinner and here I was, being "punished" for my lack of paying attention to food.
So I got to thinkin'....... what ELSE is fermenting in that pantry?
And it's at this point that the massive cleaning frenzy started.
I went through all 3 shelves in the pantry and I kid you not people, I FILLED OUR GARBAGE CAN!
I'm not even sure if I should smile at that or if I should feel terrible for wasting so much food!?
In the end, I felt terrible.
And decided no more purchasing of Wheat Thins or Triscuts because those were the items we had most of, which were WAY OVER DUE! (most expired in 2006 and 2007)
*
Then there it was....(and this is for you Bean):
A package of Quaker Oat Rice Cakes - expiration?
March of 2005
*
As if rice cakes weren't bland enough. I guess I decided to keep ours until they were EXTRA EXTRA dry.
In their broken up form, they could probably pass as packing peanuts.
It's all about recycling right!?
RSS Feed (xml)
3 comments:
I did this a couple of months ago and was shocked! I've been trying to keep a list of meal ideas on the fridge after every trip to the store so that we don't forget what we have. My question is - Do spices really expire? I threw out a bunch of them, but am wondering if I really needed to?
PS. the word verification for this comment is 'duckinis.' I wonder what those taste like?!
ha ha!!! oh does that just suck. glad you got it all cleaned out though. at least now you really know what you've got available.
and crystal - i've read that spices don't necessarily go bad but that they really just lose a lot of flavor. i need to do the same with mine to. hard to throw them out though, isn't it.
oh, oh my. :) my suggestion is: smaller cupboards.
hehe
Post a Comment