Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Flashdance Wanna-Be

My work is currently offering some pretty cool stuff to better your health.
They have all these things you can do (wellness assessment, 10,000 step program, take classes on cholesterol and blood pressure, etc) and for each one you complete, they reward you with money!
I took the wellness assessment the other month and received a $50 gift card to my choice of store. I thought - wow - this is cool! What else can I do?
So my pal Jude started this 10,000 steps program where if you finish the 6 week course (and actually make some sort of progress in your steps), you received $200!
So she helped me get signed up for it and I've been walking around with my little pedometer for the past week now.
Ok so... I'd just like to know who on EARTH can consistently do 10,000 steps a day? I mean - it's a lot! I didn't think it was, until I tried to hit it! I walk at the gym (granted I only get about 25 minutes) and at the end of the day I'm only at about 6,000.
So I've actually been taking my 15 minute breaks (which hasn't really happened in the 9 years I've worked here) and I've been walking.
The steps get up there! But still - have to make up some steps. I set my goal at 8,000.
And now here I am.... at work.... and every time I have to go in to use the bathroom, I make myself jog in place for a minute - really quickly. Get the minutes up.
(if only there were cameras in there......... how comical! And note: Do the jogging after you go. Full bladders no likey jumpy aroundy)
And then when I get home if the steps are still low, Hubby finds me jogging in place or doing whatever to get my steps up.
He tries his best not to tease me. I'm almost certain he's laughing inside at how funny I look. Not to mention the funny looks I get from the cats.
BUT HEY!!! I've been able to reach my step goal doing it this way!
It's amazing though how many steps really make 10,000.
You should try it! iPhone's have an app for it (of course they do).
See what funny things you'll do to get your steps up.
Trust me, I'm not the only one doing funny little side-jogs...
I know there are others out there... oh yes...
there are others.........

2 comments:

Jolene said...

money can be an awesome motivator! so tangible and spendable :)
nice work, girl!
i kind of like this 10,000 steps idea. hmmmmmmmmm.

Jack said...

Ha! YOu're so funny! We used to wear pedometers at the pharmacy when I worked there and we couldn't believe how many steps we'd get in a day walking back and forth from the register to the computer and the aisles of drugs. Crazy!